Ideal for screening women who show no signs of breast cancer or for people with particularly dense breast tissue, 3D mammograms have been shown to detect more cancer than standard mammograms.
Since both 3D and 2D mammogram images have advantages for detecting different kinds of breast irregularities, the 3D mammogram combines multiple 3D and 2D x-rays in order to give the most comprehensive imaging of the breast. A 3D mammogram provides far greater detail than a standard mammogram, thereby increasing the likelihood of detecting any existing cancer while reducing the need for follow-up imaging.
A 3D mammogram can also be used to investigate other breast conditions such as pain, discharge, and suspicious lumps.
When to get a 3D Mammogram:
- Yearly if you are 40 or older
- At age 30 if you’re deemed a higher breast cancer risk
- Now may be appropriate if there’s a family history of breast cancer or if you have dense breasts
What is a 3D mammography breast exam?
A 3D mammography exam is very similar to having a traditional 2D mammogram, but far more accurate in earlier breast cancer detection than any other mammogram. Like a 2D mammogram, the technologist will position you, compress your breast and take images from different angles.
3D mammography works by capturing multiple slices (images) of the breast from several angles, creating a layered 3D breast image. Our radiologist is then able to review your breast, one thin slice at a time, almost like turning pages in a book, which helps them make a more accurate diagnosis. Unlike a 2D traditional mammography where doctors can only see the front cover of a book, thus viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, 3D mammography allows for more detail to be seen.
Is there any additional compression?
There’s no additional compression required with 3D mammography, and it only takes a few seconds longer.
Why we recommend 3D mammography:
3D mammography is simply a better mammogram. This technology is clinically proven, and it’s the most accurate mammogram available. It is the biggest breakthrough in breast cancer detection in 30 years.
Facts about 3D mammography
- 3D mammography is clinically proven to be superior to a regular 2D mammogram.
- Several large studies have shown that 3D mammography detects 41% more invasive breast cancers and reduces the chance that you will need to be called back for additional views by up to 40%.
- 3D mammography is approved for all women who would be undergoing a standard mammogram regardless of age or breast type – or whether you are coming in for a screening and/or diagnostic mammogram.
- Very little X-ray dose is used during the 3D mammography exam, just about the same amount as a traditional film mammogram and well within the FDA safety standards for mammography.